For Such a Time as That: Post-Fast Thoughts

First off, I blew it. On the last day. I couldn't resist fried chicken and one of those Midnight Mocha fraps from Starbucks--you know, the kind that's like a minty Oreo with caffeine ... so much caffeine. Didn't sleep well that night, but it wasn't my conscience. Chris would later inform me that those little buggers have like three shots of espresso in them. Oopsy-daisy.

And much to my dismay (caused by romanticizing the process), I'm swimming in leftovers. Wouldn't it have been great to feel my blood sugar plummet now that we were out of bean soup and bread? To have swooned over my lack of food? Yeah, it didn't happen. But what good would have come of it anyway? "Yeah, I feel your pain. I once ate only soup and bread for three days, and it ran out. So I totally feel empathy with your desperation and embarrassment at having to turn to church food pantries just to make it to the end of the month."

Yeah, I feel like a dumbass. On Facebook, my mom called my efforts "laudable". They weren't, really. But I still watched as the Texas Legislature killed a bill that would've required (on the first go-around) and pleaded with (on the second round) school districts not to have a policy of picking up the lunches of children who don't have enough money for food and plopping them in the trash. I still saw, on the last day of the fast, the Trump budget (which was named in all seriousness "A New Foundation for American Greatness") continue cutting safety-net programs, still cut funding for Meals on Wheels, and eliminate the federal school lunch program. So, fast or no fast, empathy or sympathy, I'm still pissed. Chris assures me from his political studies that presidents put out budgets as "suggestions" that always get ignored while Congress does the real work; however, my worry is that this conservative Congress will be so emboldened by having this president that they can still do significant damage.

Back to the grindstone, folks! We have serious work to do! If you don't know where to do that work, I have a few suggestions:

  • Bread for the World - Bread is a Christian lobbying organization, so if Christianity isn't your bag, you might try ...
  • Feeding America - They're not just food banks--they do some advocacy work too. 
  • Also, if you have a little extra dough on you, the state representative who tried and failed to pass the lunch shaming legislation has, alas, resorted to begging. Feeding Texas is taking money to pay off overdue lunch balances. 
  • And if your state rep was one of the little shits in the Freedom Caucus who blocked the lunch shaming bill because it required things of the school districts (that was the reason--no joke), you may want to send her/him/they a little note telling them what you think. 
Sorry to get ugly at the end. I have a foul mouth and an angry brain. Thanks for reading, as always, gentle readers. Have a good day ... and get feisty! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

People Hate Christians

For Such a Time as This

Political Musing