Sunday, April 30, 2017

Political Musing

I'm at my parents' house in Missouri, writing a blog on my phone. Things must be serious. And they are! After all, my little burg of Denton, TX, is contemplating the lucrativeness of the elderly and disabled. See for yourself from this article from the North Texas Daily: http://ntdaily.com/tax-freeze-for-elderly-may-lead-to-2-6-million-deficit-by-2027/

As a champion (debatable) of the poor, I simply must weigh in. I first became aware of this when I saw either on Facebook or Twitter: SHOULD THE YOUNG HAVE TO PICK UP THE SLACK SO THE ELDERLY CAN HAVE A TAX BREAK?!? 

In a word: Yes. And while we're at it, can we not discuss how many millions of dollars we'd be losing if gave our most vulnerable citizens a break, Family Values State of Texas? Wait, we do still believe in family values, right? So, we get find out on May 6 if we serve God or mammon. Find your polling place here: http://www.votedenton.com/upcoming-election-information/

Is it okay to be upset about this--that some people are more concerned about the hipsters who are making Denton a more expensive place to live than the forgotten elderly? I just kept seeing tweets about this tax freeze and thought you couldn't lose on it. And yes, schools are covered by property taxes, but our lieutenant governor did attempt to force a vote on school choice in the legislature (so you know how important our public schools are). (For those not paying attention, they deep-sixed school choice. Well done.) 

I'm not coming at this from a very political standpoint, and I'll admit it. Faith informs my politics and I hate having to have politics at all, so I do this with all reluctance. I was furious when the Trump "skinny budget" cut Meals on Wheels, and the same recipients of that program are the ones who'll benefit from the tax freeze: the elderly and disabled. These people are important. I will gladly pick up the slack so they can have a break in uncertain times. 

I hope this passes, and I will be voting on May 6 because I'll finally be back in town (yay!). Hope you vote too. 

No comments: