Monday, June 22, 2015

Sabbath Redux

You will be surprised, I'm sure, to learn that someone as lazy as myself has had to scale back my Sabbath ambitions tremendously. Possibly too far--I still think we should live without at least some screens for a day. But yeah, we don't completely disconnect anymore. Shame. Chris really liked just sitting around and reading all day (a tradition that was even growing on me), but sometimes homework for RN prerequisites takes priority.

So what do we do? Something wonderful. We say the Daily Office: Morning Prayer, Noonday Prayer, Evening Prayer, and Compline. It's a great way to spend a Saturday, moving with the rhythms of the Church. And it's nice to just sit together and throw out the things we're thankful for and the people who need prayers in the designated spots. Gives us something to do besides our usual morning and evening prayers.

Sabbath is great. Just don't ask about Friday fasting. Eek.

No comments: