Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Hey, How 'bout a Post on Photography?!

Doesn't photography sound great? My mom and I are both photography fiends right now. She's got a website to set up using my old Olympus point & shoot. I used to say that it's better to get a great point & shoot for, like, $400 than to get a dSLR that's a bit of a pain in the butt to use. But now that I have the Olympus PEN, I recommend basically the best of both worlds.

Take my PEN for instance: I can use the manual settings like I learned on my Nikon, but it also has the artsy options of my old Olympus. I personally like the artsy pinhole setting, which makes images like this:
Actually, what made this image was perfect lighting, a weird window over our door, and lots of money for art.
I haven't done much in the way of true pinholes in a while, but I think I'd like to. My Diana is a pinhole when you take the lenses off, but that's all I have. And I have shaky hands and I hate tripods and goodness only knows if this gigantic shutter release will actually do anything. I need something that I can attach to a tripod (yuck), move the "shutter" out of the way, and let sit there until I'm done. Basically, I need a T (time) setting. Every camera seems to have B (bulb), but I only have one camera where I can put the button down and walk away for .... days, really. Anyway, I'd like some analog cameras for that purpose.

As for digital, I think my oeuvre is the light painting:
Sometimes shaky hands are helpful. 
I've seen a lot of light paintings that use a long exposure to capture lights moving around, but I feel like I'm the only one manipulating the camera around a bunch of still lights. My Nikon can record the light for 30 seconds, but the PEN can do it for a full minute. That said, I prefer that my shutter speed be for about 8 seconds or it's the visual version of sheer cacophony. Then I take them to Lightroom and put wacky filters on them:
Voila! Purple!
Although the last thing I probably need is another camera, I need those special pinhole cameras. I also need a trip to somewhere that's shiny at night. I'm just not good at other photography. That's okay.

1 comment:

LSB said...

Maybe we'll get lights down toward Houston! ;)