Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Me vs Me

I'm being tested for celiac disease as well as hypothyroidism and stuff that could be related to my polycystic ovary syndrome. I am a walking genetic disorder.

Funny how we get sick. Funnier still is how our bodies can betray us with autoimmune disorders like celiac--I can't eat wheat because my body will attack the gluten and shoot everything to hell. And I mean everything: There have been days when even lying down didn't feel like enough. Then again, there are days like today where I feel pretty perky, but a long time without exercise has made me weak. Can't do anything. Now I just sit around and drink peppermint tea with a little dollop of honey and dream about getting out of the house.

Whine, whine, whine. I've got a lot of crap on my plate. I have friends, though, who have it worse and are either learning to deal with or have dealt with the mess. If I test positive, I'll be the fourth person at our little church to be a celiac sufferer. That's crazy ... it's also way more than the 1% the experts say have the disease.

I ate my first gluten-free meal after the test (you have to be eating gluten before the blood test or it'll mess up the results), and I'm eager to recover my health and return to church. But now, some kind of lunch.

No comments: