Monday, March 24, 2014

No-Waste Lent

Before Great Lent began, I snuggled down by the glow of the computer and watched A Place at the Table. It had a profound effect on me, resulting in the Lenten challenge I'm currently failing at: No-Waste Lent. Now that my niece has been born, my parents are in and out of my house (to give my brother and SIL some peace). End result? Non-fasting foods being left in my refrigerator. Some thoughts:

  • The leftover sammich from Arby's was delicious. 
  • Cheese seems to be most likely to make it into a meal. 
  • I will now only buy kale on the day I plan to use it. 
  • I did not feel bad about wasting the Velveeta. That ain't food. 
  • Veggies should be subsidized, not Pringles (or whatever). 
  • Go ahead: Ask me about all the produce I've tossed out. 
  • Tortillas as dry as Death Valley can be toasted. Instant tostadas. 
  • Next time, get a 1/4 bushel of citrus instead of a 1/2 bushel. 
  • So far, I dig this book
Currently cooking is some brown rice and wrinkly tomatoes in the rice cooker. When that's done cooking, I'll stir in the cream cheese from yesterday's bagel run. 

Let's see how badly I do in the back-half of Lent! 

No comments: