Sunday, February 16, 2014

Feeling Fat and Sassy

Once upon a time (a few years ago), I decided that PCOS would not permit me to lose weight, so I just exercised for the sake of my health rather than for weight loss. Then veganism led me to a blog that mentioned the book Health at Every Size. From HAES came the famed booked by Marilyn Wann, FAT!SO? Then came zillions of other fat acceptance books. Now I've jumped on board with books about exercise for fat chicks. And I love it. I'm starting to love me.

I'm getting back into exercise, especially in this nice weather (sorry, America, but some of us are having nice weather). One of the books I have mentioned something about giving yourself permission to be unattractive while exercising, so I took that to heart as I hit my knees and smacked my face into concrete while running after a birdie (speeder) playing speedminton. And I took it to heart again several hours later when we were playing again and I bent my knee backwards and fell on it again. Then general soreness prevented us from going to the opera today. What joy. 

I love that my doctor doesn't look at me and say in a serious voice, "You know you're BMI is too high, right?" as though this were breaking news. In fact, my doctor hasn't even mentioned my weight (260 lbs) once. We're working with real crap like my cholesterol, which, at last check, was 7 points too high. And she tells me to get some exercise a few days a week. 

Some people on Amazon commented on certain books that it must be lucrative to tell fat people that they can be healthy at their current weight. Consider that weight loss is a billion dollar business. Hmm. 

1 comment:

LSB said...

What is it they say? "You go girl!"? GO!