Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Wisdom from Pinterest

Yeah, I know. This is the same website where people are giddily repinning the DIY 8-foot long stuffed squid tutorial I found. But it's not all cupcakes and thinspo (and squid). I found this little nugget today:
"Fifty years later, a new discovery of poverty is long overdue. This time, we’ll have to take account not only of stereotypical Skid Row residents and Appalachians, but of foreclosed-upon suburbanites, laid-off tech workers, and America’s ever-growing army of the “working poor.” And if we look closely enough, we’ll have to conclude that poverty is not, after all, a cultural aberration or a character flaw. Poverty is a shortage of money."
Shock-horror.

I'll be the first to admit that anxiety keeps me from talking warmly to strangers, but it's worth it to go out of your way to be nice to the homeless--if you think about this quote, it might be you one day. For ideas and depressing pictures, see my homeless Pinterest board.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I've sewn one pair of mittens. It took great effort not to sew two left-handed mittens, and I can't hem them because my sewing machine is too clunky, so I'm taking them to Missouri in the hopes that my mom can serge the edges for me (please, Mommy?). As for any others I might be able to get done (I think I can get one pair a day if I really buckle down), I'll hem them before I put them together. The box bound to NYC is nearly full! I'll take pictures before they fly away.

In closing, here's what an 8' squid pillow looks like:


1 comment:

LSB said...

Mommy will hem them. Bring the pattern! I have some fleece . . .