Saturday, September 15, 2012

Counting Beans

Seven's a lucky number, right? That's a good thing, because I have seven--count 'em, seven--types of lentils in my pantry. An impromptu pantry reorganization last night revealed that I had more lentil types than I even thought possible.

Regular brown lentils, sprouted brown lentils, French petite green lentils, urad dal (whole with black skins), urad dal (split without skins), red lentils, and beluga lentils. Sheesh.

And that's to say nothing of the rest of the beans in my pantry. I didn't even count those. If you have two things going for you--1) you like beans, and 2) you discover there are tons of exotic beans in the world--your pantry is doomed. And I have more coming from Rancho Gordo. Wonderful.

The motto of the food blog 101 Cookbooks is,
When you own over 100 cookbooks, it is time to stop buying, and start cooking.
I think that needs to become my bean motto for a time.

1 comment:

LSB said...

Time for bean soup! Wish I was there. ;P