Thursday, April 5, 2012

Bluebonnets

Nothing says "Texas" more than bluebonnet season, and although these pictures have a dearth of the lovely red Indian Paintbrush (I love that red mixed with the blue), I thought I'd post some pictures from the trip out to the cemetery to take bluebonnet pictures. Bluebonnet pictures are another Texas tradition. Texas Monthly (motto: The National Magazine of Texas) put up some irreverent ones from Texas photographers--one was particularly shocking, as it depicts a man on a mower mowing down a field of bluebonnets. Non-Texans must understand: It's against the law to even pick bluebonnets unless they're on private property. That's why the picture of them being mowed down actually caused me to gasp. Anyway, most bluebonnets are sown on the highways of Texas, so I was grateful that the family and I weren't pulled off to the side of I-35 with cars whizzing by at 90 MPH.

For the sake of privacy, I won't post pictures of the family. I did take a few pictures of just bluebonnets, and I'll post those to celebrate the season--the season of bluebonnets! Man, I love this time of year. I love being a Texan.

I was so shocked when we got out there and there was a yucca blooming! It reminded me of West Texas and spring in the local state parks. But bluebonnets aren't big out west, so I loved this lovely meeting of my two favorite places. 

A good shot of just bluebonnets ... and grass. The cute little five-pronged leaves belong to the bluebonnets. So wish I could pick them because they'd look lovely on my icon corner. 

1 comment:

LSB said...

Gorgeous! I guess they'll be gone before I get there, but at least I can see your pictures.