Monday, January 2, 2012

Light Photos (not to be confused with light paintings)

I recently stumbled across a quote that's wormed its way into my head and won't leave:

If you stop photographing things, and start to photograph light, you will amaze yourself.
- Steve Coleman
I've meant to dedicate a whole roll of film to this quote (preferably black and white, don't you think?), but in the meantime I've been experimenting with Bishop Nikon, my Nikon D90. (My Orthodox friends will get the joke.) Over Christmas I tried photographing light--or the absence of light--just to get a feel for it. I don't know if I'm doing it right, but I am sort of enjoying the outcome. These photos just have a different feel to them. I put them all in sepia so the focus is on light and shadow instead of color.

One of my grandmother's crocheted snowflakes casting a shadow on the wall. 

I like the way crystal catches light. I don't like the way it reflects my camera's big schnozz dead-center. 

This is Chris's favorite. He likes all the lines of light and shadow the ramada casts in winter. 

This one is my favorite. It's got a nice simplicity to it.

This is the most photogenic brass cat you'll ever see. My brother and sister-in-law got it for my mom in New Orleans. Every picture I take of it looks awesome, so I think it's the cat and not me. Focus not just on the play of light and shadow on the cat, but also on how the light brings out the grain on the door. It's only noticeable in sepia. 
There should be more with time, but that's what I have for now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good job! Keep at it.
Mums