Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Undoing the Damage, part 1

I got some inexplicable negative comments on "We Ought to be Ashamed" that I can't make heads or tails of, so I've deleted both my Facebook and Twitter accounts. I say that because the Loquat doesn't have a particularly wide gentle-readership, so chances are low that anyone will know that I'm coming to the conclusion of my talk on the subject of the shootings in Laredo. Without the benefit of social networks spreading the word, I may be the only one satisfied by the written end of my thoughts. So be it. (And I'll probably be a better person for not being on Facebook and Twitter all the time.)

Anyway, my answer to the question is very small, but I believe in the cliche, "Think globally, act locally." The answer ...


... is cookies. Vegan, gluten-free, soft, molasses cookies. With navy beans (yes, you did see a can of those in the picture). And a heaping spoonful of my new maple sugar. Cookies. 


Overly simplistic, yes. 


I'll explain more when the baking begins. 

Finally, apparently I need to say something. I never said that if we just stopped sinning everything would be fine. The Theotokos never sinned and was still subject to death. Only Christ can save us and can end all the terrible problems the world faces. Poverty, hunger, starvation will not cease until Jesus returns and makes all things new. This I believe, and I believe in facts, not opinions. But Christ also called us to be a city on a hill, and with the Light of Christ we should take care of those in need regardless of faith: "Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another" (1 John 4:11). Sometimes it's hard to see the icon of Christ of in other people (just ask me right now), but we were all made in the image of God and deserve each other's love regardless. I don't mean to sound preachy--I'm reminding myself as much as anyone else. Lord have mercy on me, a sinner. 

More on cookies later. Jesus is the answer--cookies are His emissary. ;)

No comments: