Wednesday, August 17, 2011

I'm not a terrorist, but I am dead sexy

I continue life with a headscarf on my head, which had two polar opposite results on my recent trip to Missouri. I was going up to see my sick mother (more on that later), and to Dallas-Love Field I sported the classy Dutch crown (except with a square scarf folded into a triangle). I was shocked and eventually offended when the TSA person had to pat down my headscarf. I more keenly understand the stereotyping against Muslim women all the time. Nothin' in there but hair, hun.

Contrast this with my trip from KCI back to Dallas, where I was tapped on the shoulder and asked about my classic bun. The woman in question couldn't believe that I'd tied it myself! I've gotten better with time, but I'm glad to say that tying these headscarves isn't rocket science. My current method of trying the bun looks much more fluid than what I've done in the past, so I guess I shouldn't have been too surprised that she thought it came that way.

One black headscarf with white polka dots, two very different reactions. Interesting indeed.

No comments: