Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Insomnia, Let's Make a Deal

Early to rise and early to bed makes a man healthy and wealthy and dead. - James Thurber

Okay, maybe not insomnia--sleep issues in general. I've been dutifully going to bed at 9:00 or 10:00 PM, only to rise and shine at 11:00 AM. Or perhaps I go to bed at midnight on a Friday ... then I rise and shine at 11:00 AM. If I happen to wake earlier, I'm incredibly groggy and end up falling over in a dead snooze on the couch ... only to rise and shine at 11:00 AM. Are you seeing a pattern here? Because I sure am.

Back in the days before I was loaded up on enough psychiatric meds to kill a lesser man, I would lie awake for hours, often till 2:00 AM. For this reason, I was prescribed a sleep aid (which shall remain nameless--no free pub here) by my psychiatrist. With help from all the other meds evening out my mood, I actually got a good night's sleep again. But rising and shining still isn't my strong point, and so while I can manage to drop off in 15 minutes at night I can't seem to get up at a sane hour. Early to bed, 11:00 AM to rise.

So I'm issuing this: I cave. I shall give in to my natural inclination to drop off at miserable hours of the morning and rise at lunchtime. This is my second night of staying up late in order to rise late. I've got the computer/game room all spic and span, and now I'm enjoying a few hours of internet time.

In only slightly related news, I've been sitting here enjoying Beethoven's "Overture from Egmont" so much that I want you to enjoy it with me. So enjoy a little culture on me again:

No comments: