Thursday, December 9, 2010

Pith!

I like to use the Loquacious Loquat as a force for good ... and occasionally evil, but it's a rather benign evil. Since the holidays are fast-approaching, I thought this would be an excellent time to use it as a force for good.

All you knitters and crocheters should get your needles and hooks (or, if you're like me, your knitting looms) ready to help Warm Up America! in the fine act of making baby hats for wee ones in the world's most impoverished countries! The Caps for Good Campaign will run until February 28, 2011, and the dainty little hats you make will go towards reducing infant mortality in the crucial first month of life. And what knitter/crocheter doesn't love to knit/crochet dainty little things for babies? Not one, I tell you--not one!

I'm a bit of an overachiever when it comes to putting my hands to use for charity, so I was a bit saddened when I read that they just want each knitter/crocheter to make just one cap. So I'll pop another Klonopin to calm my twitchy hands and quote this from the Action Kit (which you should definitely read yourself if you're thinking of doing this):
Making a cap is important - but so is telling your friends, family and co-workers about this project and enlisting
their support. So instead of making a bunch of caps by yourself, make one cap and then encourage others to
make a cap too. This will result in more caps and more people who care about this issue and feel empowered to
make a difference.
They've got a point (I guess ... grumble ...), so I'll use my social media connections to spread the message. And I expect you to do the same while working with your needles and hooks and looms and soft, washable yarn.

Also, don't forget that hospitals need hats and other supplies for mothers who don't have anything for their new babies, and they also need preemie stuff in the NICU. You don't have to stop at one hat!

No comments: