Friday, August 27, 2010

What to blog about?

My choices are suicide and fashion. Hmmm ... suicide or fashion? I guess I'll spare you from suicide talk for now. Stay tuned for the Loquat's most depressing post ever!

Okay, fashion. I have fashion on the brain because a gallery opening is coming up that I'd really like to go to. Problem? It's in Dallas. The gallery in question is Galleri Urbane in the Design District. Sure, I was a frequent visitor to their original location in Marfa. Sure, I've bought art from them. Sure, Chris has met and has a good report with the owner. None of that matters: I'm not fashionably equipped to handle a gallery opening in Dallas.

I can always hope that Galleri Urbane-Dallas has the country-casual charm of Galleri Urbane-Marfa, but the art festival in Rockland, ME, taught me the discomfort of going to gallery openings in a sweater and jeans. (The art festival in Rockland, ME, also taught me that you don't have to be straight to have an incredibly homophobic conversation, but that's another story for another time.) So I've spent the past few days pouring over a catalog (trendy clothes for tubby girls--not their motto, but I like it), searching for something that's dressy-but-not-Orthodox-church-like. My clothing philosophy used to be "only clothing that I'd wear to church too", but I'm realizing that church and gallery openings require a very different kind of dressed-up. Subtlety! I can remember when getting stuffed into a flowery cotton dress was good enough for any special occasion! Sure, I was a lot shorter then, but who wouldn't miss those simpler times?

Anyway, I have nice black pants and a lovely cowl-back tunic on the way for the opening. I'm ready to face my first gallery opening in the big city. Now I can stand back and be amazed when everyone else there is in jeans and t-shirts. Can someone please teach Texans how to dress?!

1 comment:

Matushka said...

Enjoy the opening!

Check out: andrewbennettartwork.com/

Love his work. He's an old friend of mine who now lives in CA. If he comes down this way to do a show, I'll let you know.

M.M.