Friday, December 11, 2009

Contemplating a Luddite Summer

Although essentially about how the 24-hour news cycle makes us crazy, New York Times blog post My Luddite Summer has been and continues to be a source of inspiration for me. So much so, in fact, that I'm contemplating doing it this summer. Chris gets 3 weeks off in July and just happens to have a friend he calls a "benevolent slumlord", so we may have a place in El Paso where we can stay. I do love Marfa with all my little heart, but I also enjoy a little urban life--I thrive on everything but suburbia. Plus, I can pretend I have a summer home. Woot.

Once we got the laptop with wireless, we used to take it around with us when we traveled. You know things are bad when you can't focus long enough to watch TV and need to get on Facebook and upload Bob Dylan Christmas songs. We forgot it one time and actually enjoyed ourselves. Oh, it sounds like such a joy to disconnect from the world for 3 weeks, get some serious reading done, and take photos with cameras that don't even need batteries! And to do this in the city with an international border on one side and a mountain range on the other? Lovely. All I need is a massive tome to undertake. Goodness knows what I'll do now that I've finished the Gandhi biography.

We'll spend tomorrow in El Paso because we're too lazy to switch banks. Why switch to a local bank when you can use it as an excuse to go to your new favorite city?

No comments: