Monday, November 30, 2009

Art and Nature

Poor little Marfa was saved by the arrival of Minimalist artist Donald Judd in the 70s. I can understand the attraction--the desert is, by its nature, minimalist. Monet would've gone insane out here. But it wasn't until Chris and I went hiking at the Chihuahuan Desert Research Institute (near Fort Davis) that I realized that nature is better at postmodern art than most postmodern people. And I set out to prove it.

Take, for example, the desert's examples of Minimalism:



It's excellent at Deconstructivism:



It even dabbles in Abstract Expressionism:



More alarmingly, it takes some inspiration from Matthew Barney films and/or the creatures from Pan's Labyrinth:



Seriously, I was expecting this tree to turn into Pale Man. (This is one of the most terrifying scenes I've ever witnessed in a movie, so if you're easily creeped out I suggest skipping it. I couldn't even watch the whole thing again.)
Sorry about that turn for the freaky. Anyway, I have dogs to take out and a pumpkin to transform into something edible. Ta.

No comments: