Friday, October 30, 2009

Ah, the holidays

Halloween approacheth (quickly), which means the holiday season approacheth, which means my favorite holiday approacheth: Buy Nothing Day. Buy Nothing Day, the day after Thanksgiving (aka Black Friday), amuses me. A lot of that has to do with the fact that I'd rather run a marathon than go shopping on Black Friday (both seem like profoundly bad ideas in my physical shape--cardiac arrest, anyone?), but I do like that there's a day celebrating not shopping, especially when that day will likely turn up at least one story of someone getting murdered while trying to get the latest electronic doohickey. Can't imagine why I stay in.

However, if you've examined the Buy Nothing Day webpage by now, you'll note that AdBusters has chosen to throw in some civil disobedience bits. Remember, I've read a massive biography about Gandhi and have learned a bit about civil disobedience, and let me say that AdBuster's suggestions fall far short of Gandhi's standards (although I do think offering to cut up peoples' credit cards is kind of funny). Apparently it isn't enough to just not spend money--we have to make other people want to spend more money by annoying the bejeebers out of them and making them defiant. Good work, Walmart congo line.

Anyway, everyone else is welcome to brave the cold in zombie makeup while I sit by the warm glow of the heat pump and enjoy a little reading. Or perhaps I'll be at the Chihuahuan Desert Research Institute for their Thanksgiving open house. No doubt I'll be observing the habits of Marfans in the land where there are no shopping malls. Should be the sanest Buy Nothing Day I've ever lived through.

No comments: