Sunday, September 20, 2009

A sad thing

It seems like a strange thing to say, but a friend of mine that I never met died suddenly yesterday morning. Her name was Renee, she was only 30 years old, and she leaves behind her husband Jason. I knew her thanks to the miracle of the internet, and the thing we had in common was the inability to have children. When my grandfather died, I felt like a black hole had opened up in the world--it was the feeling that someone who should be there isn't and won't come back. I never met Renee, but I knew her for years--I have that black hole feeling once again.

The reason I'm posting about Renee's death is not just because I've lost a friend who was very young, but also because her husband is asking that in lieu of flowers people help with the costs of the funeral. Funeral costs are ridiculously expensive: When Chris and I only had the life insurance Dallas ISD provided for free for $10,000, he said, "Well, if I die, that'll barely cover the funeral." Nothing seems right about that. I don't know if my pleas for charity ever get a response out of the gentle readership, but it's always worth a shot, right? If you're willing to help, you can send checks to:

Phillips Funeral Home
116 W Main St
Gilbertown, AL 36908
Please indicate for Jessica Renee Harvell
Remember that anyone can die suddenly and much too early, and that kind words are never said enough. And keep Jason and their families in your prayers.

1 comment:

fawnda said...

Thanks for posting this!

I am in total shock! I also knew Renee through the www, and she was so funny and caring! she will be missed!