Thursday, August 6, 2009

August 12 ...

... is Adopt-A-Less-Adoptable-Pet Day! To your left you will spy Baby, a shih tzu mix who currently lives in Alpine, TX. While Chris and I were in Maine, I was piddling around on the computer, looking for senior dogs out west (thank you, Petfinder). The nearest elderly dog was in El Paso, which is quite a ways to go, so I finally just searched for shelters near Marfa. I ended up clicking on Baby (classified as an adult) and saw the words, "This dog needs a home soon. She is too old to be living in the shelter." Prior to this, we'd just been looking at dogs for grins; after seeing Baby, I thought, "I just found our dog."

Why a senior dog (or an adult dog bordering on senior)? Chris and I haven't had a dog in ages--the last thing we need is a puppy trying to eat the cats, peeing everywhere, jumping on everything, pulling us down the street, etc. Inexperienced dog owners need a dog experienced being a dog. Also, it just doesn't seem right to me that old, lovable dogs get put down in shelters because everyone would rather have a healthy puppy. Worse still, how many of those puppies end up back in the shelter as old dogs because their lousy families decide they want a younger dog? It's my intention to make Baby's last years happy as can be.

We got to meet Baby on our last trip to Marfa. Miss Lemon got to meet her too, and we learned that Lemmy will tolerate dogs much better than she will cats (she actively seeks to destroy cats, but she just wanted Baby to stay on her side of the room). The Animal Control officer in charge of her case seems to be thrilled--methinks she thought Baby would never find a home, but she was so sweet and well-behaved that it just wasn't fair. Currently, Baby is in a foster home until we can get set up in our new apartment, then we'll make it official and bring her home for non-stop lovins!

So if you're like us and have a pet-shaped hole in your life, consider the so-called unadoptables.

2 comments:

Svetleah said...

This is great! I'm so happy for you and Baby! I was taught to adopt less fortunate animals too -- just strays for me.

StacyandChad said...

She's too cute, Chandler! Glad she's gonna be joining your family!