Thursday, January 22, 2009

I've quit

As you all know by now, I've quit my teaching job. It was a tough decision, filled with stress and anxiety. However, I think it was the right decision for everyone involved, me, the school, the kids, everybody. I wasn't happy there, they weren't all that happy with me, and the person who is replacing me is going to be a strict disciplinarian that I just don't have it in me to be, which those kids really need.
I try to not have sour grapes about it, but I suppose I should talk about some of the things that pushed me over the edge. My principal was more than a little crazy. He could not believe that any problem related to him or his leadership (or lack thereof) in any way. Education seemed more and more like it was fad driven and that was harder and harder to deal with. Some practices that were going on at my school and across the entire elementary-middle-high school feeder pattern are illegal. I'm not sure if I can talk about the gory details of that on a public blog just yet, but I may be able to later.
It was a mountain of stress and work that I was having a hard time enjoying anymore, but the thing that really scared me was that everyone I talked to at school in some way or another commended me on my courage for leaving when I did and wished that they had the courage to do the same. These are intelligent people who love their subjects and love working with kids, but are kept under the thumb of poor administration from not only the school and district level, but I think from the state and national level too.

In happier news, I was only unemployed for about a day. I am now in the financial services business. So if anybody needs some financial services let me know.

No comments: