Wednesday, January 7, 2009

I'd like to thank the BBC in advance for the nightmares I'll be having tonight.

I remember in my AP European history class, which also turned out to be a great art history class, a sort of sneering at iconography or Eastern "religious art" because of the unrealistic way it portrayed its subjects. The most criticized point was the depiction of the infant Jesus, who they say just looked like a miniature adult (sorry, but He looks like a kid to me!). Well, now that I'm Orthodox I can leap to the defense of icons, saying that the point is not realism but to draw the soul closer to God. When you look at an icon, you're not supposed to be interested in technique or quality, but rather the icon should draw you into a prayerful mood.

I say all that in order to introduce this article from the BBC: "Church removes 'scary crucifix'". Give me "unrealistic" icons any day!

(Be forewarned, the crucifix is creepy.)

No comments: