Monday, December 29, 2008

Read any good books lately?

Our society is growing stupider by the second, gentle readers!! My proof? Think about the question we pose to acquaintances that we know we must talk to politely but have no idea what to say:
How 'bout that weather, huh?
This is a Question for All Seasons in Texas, where a spell of perfectly normal, seasonally-appropriate weather is so out of the ordinary that it's worth a comment. But it's not likely to be a lengthy conversation ...
Oh yeah, 84 the day after Christmas, back down to 40 the next day ... um ... sun's shining ... yup.
... nor is it likely to be edifying ...
I keep a weather glass in my house that lets me know when the barometric pressure is falling or rising, but the layman can tell by the presence of rain or strong winds whether (ha!) a cold or warm front is coming through, and it's safe to say that structures erected on the north Texas landscape have had an impact on what kind of weather we get around here nowadays--for instance ...
Suddenly, I don't care if weather talk is edifying or not.

Anyway, I'm on a one woman mission to resurrect an excellent question:
Read any good books lately?
It's an excellent question! And lemme tell ya, carrying Salman Rushdie's The Satanic Verses around my grandmother's house through Christmas was an excellent conversation starter even if I did get a few funny looks! The world would be a much better, smarter place if we gave less of our time up to discussing the weather and spent it instead giving discourse on the last novel, short story or poetry collection, or essay we read.

So, gentle readers, read any good books lately? Then do leave a comment!

1 comment:

Liz Nyenhuis said...

I have't read *any* books lately, which is unusual for me...I can't help I'm addicted to Pet Society on Facebook.....