Friday, December 19, 2008

May I ask a silly question?

Well, sure, it's my blog. I'll do as I please here.

Anyway, does anyone know why Swift's Gulliver's Travels and Sterne's Tristram Shandy, apparently a volume of both works together, is in the nonfiction section at the library? I'd sure hate to see the poor sucker who stumbled upon it and thought that was reality!

Three possible answers:
1. It's mislabeled.
2. They viewed them as social satire instead of fiction. (That's my most forgiving answer.)
3. It's a study guide for both books. (But there's a logical follow-up question to this: Why does the library have three different study guides for Tristram Shandy and no copies of the book itself?)

Ah. Apparently it's part of the Great Books of the Western World series--volume 36, to be exact. Weird.

No comments: