Friday, December 19, 2008

I would be remiss not to mention these things

I seem to pay special attention to all things WWII and anything else even mildly related. If you recall "No Laughs, No Thrills, and Villains All Too Real" and my commentary thereon, then you may also be interested in "Berlin memorial to Roma WWII dead." Roma, for the uninitiated, are more commonly known as gypsies, which is in fact a derogatory name. I don't know about anyone else, but it seems to me to be easy to forget that Jews were not the only people who died in the Holocaust. Roma are still despised across Europe--violence against them is frequent and brutal. I don't think Americans really get that: During the Olympics, NBC went back to Athens to look at the remnants of their Olympic arenas. In one decimated location, the reporter announced that all the copper pipe had been "stolen by gypsies." That's like reporting here that a house was broken into by black people. All that to say that a memorial to the Roma lost in WWII is a bigger deal than we may imagine.

Also call to mind my post "Oh, what will those young rapscallions come up with next?!" on the future of our nation deciding "Hit a Jew Day" was perfectly acceptable. You may know where I'm going next, and I'm sorry to do it: The Hitler cake. I don't want to say too much because I feel this has been run terribly into the ground by now, except to say that I can't make heads or tales of this family. I fully expected white supremacists, but they're not really (if you can get past the whole Holocaust denial thing). I think they're just nuts. And I don't condone naming your kids Adolf Hitler and Aryan Nation, much like I don't condone giving your kids names they'll be embarrassed by when they're 40. (Always ask yourself, When their youth is gone, will my children hate me for naming them _______?) The Australians are the worst about this--"Sex Fruit" is a terrible name for a child, folks. (Google "Talula Does the Hula from Hawaii" and for the lists of weird names of children from the OZ.)

Class dismissed.

No comments: