Sunday, November 9, 2008

Support your local library, for it supports you

(Click on the comic to blow it up.)

One of the last things we did when we lived in our previous abode was to fall in love with the libraries. Then, of course, we moved. One of our first acts in our new town was to get a library card (and then we connected the electricity). It's taken awhile to warm up to the two libraries here, but we're finally doing it. Today I was overtaken by the desire for opera CDs, so off we went.

I have no clue why libraries are so underutilized. IT'S FREE, FOLKS! The only thing to complain about is the queue for the most popular books, but do you really have to be the first person to read the last book in the Twilight saga? Really? Or can you park yourself at 68th in line for the book and maybe read the forlorn copy of To Kill a Mockingbird to pass the time? I swear I heard that our current financial woes caused a surge in issued library cards, but now that gas is back to $1.99 I'm sure we'll all return to the gluttony of Blockbuster and Amazon.

Our recession-proof conquests?
BOOKS:
The Rest is Noise: Listening to the Twentieth Century by Alex Ross (a book I started but didn't have time to complete--I'm ready to read it again)
The Silmarillion by Tolkien (we're on a bit of a Tolkien kick right now)
The History of English Literature by Perry Keenlyside (an audiobook)
DVDs:
Becket (why not?)
The first season of "Jeeves & Wooster" (continuing the Hugh Laurie/Stephen Fry kick we've been on for years)
MUSIC:
Wozzeck by Alan Berg (which Ross raved about in The Rest is Noise)
The Damnation of Faust by Berlioz (because I'm in that kind of mood)
Akhnaten by Philip Glass (I think liking Philip Glass automatically causes people to raise their eyebrows and think you must be weird)
Rachmaninov's "Vespers" (for Chris)
I think we made out a darn sight better than Keith and Kerstin in the comic! I'll be going on an opera-listening spree tomorrow, methinks!

No comments: