Wednesday, September 17, 2008

RIP Game Cube

Last year, for a crazy combo birthday/Christmas/way-to-go-you-actually-got-a-job gift, I bought Chris a Nintendo Game Cube. The system itself was $90, it was used, and it was missing a lot of pieces. So we became acquainted with our local Game Stop (located in the same shopping center as Target and Petco) and amassed the other pieces we needed so we could have new ways to waste our time. We then acquired, over the past year, a modest little collection of games that consists entirely of Mario and Zelda games (hey, I know what I like): Some were busts, some were fantastic, and some where next to impossible (Twilight Princess).

But then the Game Cube began to act funny. It would wig out on the ancient games (Zeldas 1 and 2). Then Wind Waker started freezing ... then it began to freeze a lot (every two minutes). Then getting Ocarina of Time not to freeze after 5 minutes was like pulling teeth. After a while, we were relegated to two games: The oldest, Mario Sunshine, and the newest, Twilight Princess. When TP started freezing, we had to face reality. Our Game Cube was not having a natural reaction to dusty, scratched-up discs (my gosh, it looks like the cats used Wind Waker as a scratch post!)--the Game Cube was suffering from a terminal illness.

TP is now down to five minutes between wig-outs, Ocarina of Time lasted about two seconds into the opening credits (never even got to the start menu), and the only game that's never frozen is Mario Sunshine ... which I'm tired of playing. The ol' Game Cube is all but brain dead now. Next comes the tough part: To replace or to upgrade?

The upside to the Wii is that I can still have all the old games I acquired: Zelda 1, Zelda 2, and Ocarina of Time. I can also get the vintage Mario games, the prospect of which has me all slack-jawed and happy-drooling (my eyes kinda glaze over too--it's real creepy). There's also A Link to the Past, which is hailed by those nerds in the know as the awesomest Zelda game ever. The downsides are, of course, the cost, as well as the absence of Wind Waker, the best game evereverever (try looking that word up in your Funk & Wagnalls).

Meanwhile, replacing a Game Cube just got easier. Those nuts who spent hundreds of dollars on Wiis at Christmas really drove down the price on the Game Cube. Remember how I got a used Game Cube for $90? Does a brand new one for $59 do anything for ya? Sure does for me. I still have the lingering fear that the thing will go mental after a short period of time, but then again there's no telling how long mine had been used before being welcomed into my home (ostensibly to live out its final days).

Anyway, I'm off to make some choices and funeral arrangements for the Game Cube. An unceremonious dumping into an electronics recycle bin sounds like the best bet. Apologies all around for the esoteric post, and kudos to those with even an inkling of an idea of what I'm talking about. (Coming soon, a post on my Action Replay dilemma.)

No comments: